Sunday, June 14, 2009

BayCycle Day 8: Tired and Happy!

My Beautiful Wife (MBW) started her day's ride with a short steep uphill out of the condo parking lot, then rode through Sausalito and across the Golden Gate Bridge on a glorious sunny day. I updated my blog, then headed onto highway 101 and across the bridge. So far, so good. But when I hit Doyle Drive coming off the bridge, I hit a major traffic snarl. There was a triathlon, Escape from Alcatraz, ending on the Marina Green. I turned off at the first opportunity and called MBW to adjust our meetup plans. Then I headed away from the traffic onto the Presidio, and wound my way to the Crissy Field parking lot. By the time I had the trike off the rack, MBW was there.


We headed away from the water, past the Palace of Fine Arts, and over to Chestnut street to meet our friend Jan for lunch. She'd been following MBW's blog and that had inspired her to bring us a box of Kara's Cupcakes. We caught up over lunch, then headed back toward the Marina and towards Fort Mason. At that point MBW continued on towards the Embarcadero. I turned back for a ride into the wind along the Marina.


The wind wasn't as bad as I'd expected. It had been windy for the whole trip and we were getting somewhat used to it. I stopped for a cupcake break and watched a sailing race in progress, the crews climbing over the edge of the boat as counterweights. Along the shore people were watching the race and some were cheering on their favorites. It was such a beautiful day that I was smiling all the way down the Marina and along the Golden Gate Promenade. I knew that MBW was approaching her Third Street ride on the south end of town, one that she felt a little nervous about. I had half a mind to cut my ride short and get down closer to there in case she needed me. But she had told me to enjoy myself and take my time, and I knew she could take care of herself. So I rode down to the end of the big Crissy Field meadow before heading back to the car.


MBW had gotten out of San Francisco safely and we couldn't find a good place to sync up, so we both headed for San Mateo where we were having dinner with her brother and his girlfriend. She arrived literally minutes after I did, which amazed us and impressed our hosts. Here she is, exhausted, getting a welcoming hug from her brother.


I was too tired to blog that night so I initially I'd just posted this picture from my ride along San Francisco Bay. I'd been trying to take my own picture with the bridge in the background. A woman whose companion had left her sitting on a nearby bench offered to take it for me. Since she had crutches and her leg in a serious cast, I figured there was little danger of her taking off with my cell phone. So that helpful stranger gets the credit for this photo.


Here's My Beautiful Wife's post on Day 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment