Tuesday, June 9, 2009

BayCycle Day 1: Driving Around with k.d. lang

"Out of nowhere this gust of wind
Brushed my hair and kissed my skin
I aimed to hold a bridled pace
When with love itself i came face to face"
-- k.d. lang, Ben Mink

As I started up the car that first morning of our BayCycle adventure, A Prairie Home Companion was beginning its broadcast from Los Angeles with a start-studded guest list: Sheryl Crow, Martin Sheen, k.d. lang. I'd tuned in just in time to hear Garrison Keillor sing a song about a teenage boy driving around L.A. with the top down. The topic seemed appropriate enough for starting out on a road trip. I left the radio on that station so I could hear k.d. lang. The next day was going to be MBW* and my 18th anniversary as a couple. k.d.'s song Pullin' Back the Reins had played an important role in our early days, describing so well the wild and heady rush of our new love. Hearing the "driving around" song and k.d. lang on the first leg of the journey seemed an auspicious beginning. I chose to accept these as good omens as I drove around the southern tip of San Francisco Bay to catch up with the love of my life.

*MBW = My Beautiful Wife (here's her post on Day 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment