Friday, August 15, 2008

Of Marriage and No on Prop 8 and Republicans

"The institution of marriage can only be strengthened by allowing everyone to participate in its rights and responsibilities."
— from the Republicans Against 8 web site

Wow, August blew by and we're getting seriously into September. Mrs. Leaping Woman and I have been thoroughly enjoying our marital bliss. We set up our No on Prop 8 fundraising wedding registry and I started volunteering for the campaign. Last Tuesday I went through phone bank training. They gave us all lists of names to call but told us to start with the numbers on our cell phones. I was able to sign up a phone bank volunteer and get some donations from friends, but unfortunately I'd forgotten to bring my phone headset. My gimpy arms gave out before I could get to the calls to strangers, and four days later I've almost recovered. So next time I'll be sure to bring it.

When K and I were married in July, our best friends P&R played a big role in our small ceremony. Tomorrow, we are "best women" for theirs. I've been practicing writing my Hebrew name and my parents' so that I can witness the ketubah, the Jewish marriage contract. It took a little research with my sisters and the Internet to nail down the right names and their spellings, and it's been fun to learn. As a culinary Jew (i.e., primarily I eat my favorite foods that go with each holiday) this is something I've never had to do before.

The November election on Proposition 8 is going to be extremely close. If you support marriage equality, here's how you can help:
  • First and foremost, if you live in California vote "No" on Proposition 8 this November.
  • Make a donation to the No on Prop 8 campaign.
  • Talk to 10 people and ask them to talk to 10 people. You'll find talking points in the No on 8 FAQ.
  • Click on Vow to Vote No to have your commitment to marriage equality counted.
  • Visit http://noonprop8.com/action/ to learn more about what you can do to protect marriage equality.
Oh, and about the quote at the top... I'm not a Republican but I am happy to know that there are marriage equality advocates among them. Republicans Against 8 was founded by the Log Cabin Republicans, a coalition of LGBT Republicans and their allies. Although it makes sense that there are LGBT voters in both the Democratic and Republican parties, I'll confess that the Log Cabin Republicans have always mystified me, as does their statement that "Gov. Palin is an inclusive Republican who will help Sen. McCain appeal to gay and lesbian voters." I see abortion rights and LGBT rights as inextricably tied. The same people who want to deny women the right to make our own decisions about whether and when to carry a pregnancy to term want to deny LGBT citizens the rights to love and marry the people we choose. I don't understand how anyone who thinks that abortion should be illegal even in cases of rape and incest can appeal to any lesbian voter. Not this one, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment